When you are studying away from home, working away from home, its time to make a home where you are.That’s what I learned when I read Love the Home you have and decided to do exactly that. Buying and maintaining homes in all the places you travel is not for you and me. Making a cozy cocoon, wherever I live, is right up my sleeve. With the stress of the profession and creative pursuits, my home needs to be peaceful.
The good news this week
The home we bought in Kolkata, a few years back is almost ready for possession. The effective word is almost!
I have mixed feelings. I have prayed for this day but now we are roughly 9 h 23 min (360.1 km) via NH12 and SH 7 away from this home. If you know the roads of West Bengal, then you know the problem! If not I will avoid giving you boring details. But you understand, right?
So now we have two things to plan
1)What to do?
2)How to do?
Universe are you listening?
The current plan
Get it done slowly as and when we can manage.
The next plan
Pray hard for a miracle!
The fun part
Dreaming about home decor, browsing Houzz, BHG, and Pinterest and knowing its research is fun! I have decided to find those elements, furnishing and decor items which help bring peace and serenity in our home.
A peaceful home is a happy home! Click To Tweet
The philosophy is great, dreams I have plenty and Pinterest boards full of favourite ideas.
But the real work will need to be done. The only way I could even start thinking about it is when I decide I will blog about it. One problem, one blog post . That should work right?
The problem with decorating a new home is it’s exciting and terrifying at the same time.Should you ask the interior decorator friend? Should you hire the best interior decorator of the town, if you have the budget? Should you just talk to the friendly carpenter and ask him to follow those saved pictures from Pinterest, Insta, and Houzz? That could be tricky!
This decision is more difficult than what to cook for dinner. But I have a solution. I am writing down all my ideas, then going to make chits with all my options and pick up a chit blindfolded. Will that work?
I don’t think so! But I am determined. When there’s a will there’s always a way.
What I have decided for my home in Kolkata
1)Find out all the areas of the home which needs work. One word, everything.
- Guest room/Family room/Library /Home office/HomeGym with the climbing wall?This is one room.
- Living space
- Kitchen stuff and home appliances
- https://healthwealthbridge.com/thursdaytreelovebalcony-garden-ideas-india/Balcony Garden set up.I want a totally independent self-watering no fuss system.I want to check for a waste disposal system which will be no mess.Planning self sustaining homes is a good way to create a green home.
- Lighting options and I don’t like false ceilings!
I am a big fan of no-fuss, clean airy spacious designs, with lots of natural elements, which need a minimalcleaning up.
Home paint and colours
I want a lead free paint. Need to choose from Asian Paints/Berger Paints/Nerolac. I really like the Royale Atmos by Asian Paints and considering it for my home. It’s an interesting way to make my walls help clean the indoor air! (The video was part of a campaign but I really liked the concept).Low VOC is a high priority for the paint we choose.It should also be easy to clean and look good.
You will be getting all the behind the scenes fun stuff on my YouTube channel as I get the home ready.
One color throughout or signature color in rooms?Feature wall or not? Not a fan and I don’t like textured walls. Most of the time I want to iron out the creases. It’s weird but that’s what I feel.
Should I like a mural? Wallpapers?Green walls?Yes for murals and green walls. I would love to have vertical gardens in all my rooms. But the budget and practical issues will need to be taken into account. Will I want window treatments? Sliding doors or folding doors? Modular wooden kitchen or steel kitchen?
Functional and blissful. That’s my plan . I can dream, right?
5 Wishes for my home:
#1 I want to find a home wherever I live with my family. Seriously this is something me and hubby believe deeply. You can travel, live in rented places, but if you have a loving family to come home to, any place can be home.
#2 Attachment to places and walls happen, but I want to create feelings and memories. That’s the reason I focus my energy and creativity in finding the right furniture and furnishings.
#3 I want a fresh, clean and green home. Think solar panels, clean water, energy saving lights and Vertical gardening. If I can find the right person to set up, then maybe an Aquaponics kitchen garden. I tend to get carried away when it comes to gardening.But its for a good cause.
#4 I want a library with all my Feluda and Enid Blyton’s and everything in between. Imagine a cozy rocking chair, well-lighted room, green plants and surrounded by books. Bliss!
#5 I am planning a rock climbing wall. When its ready you are invited to come climbing with me!
Why it’s important to avoid overwhelm and have a plan
The stress of living in a different place and having a home in another one means we will be traveling. Since in this case air travel is not an option we will have to travel by rail. It’s hectic for adults and with a six-year-old, we need to do some smart planning. But I believe when there’s a will there’s a way and I have always been blessed!
My next step
Virtual home décor sites and you my friend will be seeing what I try. Give me your best tips in the comments for the new home decor, the stress-free way.
Hi welcome to Super Blogger Linkup Open
- Please submit one post Blog or Vlog every week. Linky opens for one month. This is to help support the Super Bloggers.
- Comment on hosts post as well 4 other posts (weekly)
- Mention the Line: I am participating in the #SuperBloggerAcademy Linky party by Healthwealthbridge Dr.Amrita and allaboutthewoman.com Dr.Bushra
- By participating in this linky you give Healthwealthridge/Allaboutthewoman/ Supersocialbiz permission to email you when we have helpful information and to give updates about linkups.
- Subscribe to Healthwealthbridge/Allaboutthewoman/Supersocialbiz to continue receiving the newsletter full of actionable tips to make Blogging in India easier.
- Share your own post on Twitter with #SuperBloggerAcademy and add your post to the SuperBloggerAcademy Group board.
- Share your friend’s post on the above two platforms.
- Like and RT the posts in the #SuperBloggerAcademy stream as much as possible.