Presbyopia , can you slow it down?
You don’t want it to happen.I don’t want it to happen, but age will creep up and one day the newspaper will look fuzzy!When you can’t seem to read anything without holding them at an arm’s length you know you need reading glasses.This is called Presbyopia and most commonly happens around mid-forties.
The truth behind Presbyopia: Can you slow it down?
I will tell you about the following in the sections below.
- Aging lens
- When should you visit doctor urgently
- How to pick your eyeglasses
- How to take care of your eyeglasses
- Eye health tips
With age, the lens in Your eyes become less flexible.The accommodation reflex which helps the lens to focus the images on the retina gets deranged
Ageing lens and cataract: The physiology and pathology
Your lens grows throughout life It is exposed to oxidative stress and strain for a long period.The risk of oxidation-related damage increases after the fourth decade.This accumulation of fluorescent chromophores and complex crystallin aggregates, causes the lens to have decreased the ability to clean its own house. This prevents transport of Glutathione around the lens nucleus.As the lens ages its transparency falls, becomes more rigid and accommodation becomes difficult.
This is the basis of Presbyopia.
The steady accumulation of deposits in lens nucleus can also cause nuclear cataract.
What symptoms will you have if you have Presbyopia?
- Burning sensation in eye
- Blurring of vision while reading, sewing, using a mobile phone or while doing anything which needs near vision.
Most common causes of Presbyopia
- Diseases conditions like diabetes, cardiovascular disease or multiple sclerosis may develop presbyopia at a younger age.
- Certain drugs can cause premature presbyopia:antidepressants, antihistamines and diuretics.
There is no known prevention for aging.
The internet is full of exercises to improve your vision naturally.You and I have little idea about the efficacy of it.Unfortunately, no amount of eye exercises can prevent the hardening of the lens what they may do is make the ciliary muscles controlling accommodation reflex stronger.
But don’t forget to get those stylish reading glasses even if you decide to start exercising your eyes.
When should you visit a doctor urgently?
- Seek immediate medical care if you:
- If you have a sudden loss of vision in one eye with or without pain in the eye.
- When you experience sudden blurred vision
- If you see flashes of light, black spots or halos around lights
- If you have double vision
Ready reader eyeglasses are the easiest, quick, trouble-free and most cost-effective way of correcting your vision.Branded ready reading glasses in India is now easily available.While buying them you will be spoilt for choice with respect to style, price point, and comfort.
My top tips for picking your glasses:
- Something which is lightweight.This is a must as something resting on your nose if it’s too heavy can give you a headache.
- Low maintenance.Even though glasses are easy to use you don’t want a delicate pair if you are a busy person who is forgetful.Delicate glasses will be pretty but also high maintenance.Go for an option which fits the bill according to your lifestyle.
- Goes with your facial shape.Online and offline nowadays the options and tips for this are limitless.
- According to your reading need and profession.
- Moderate price range.This is optional.But to be kept in mind as you may need several changes to the reading glasses over the years and don’t want to overspend on it.It is not always possible to change the lens in an old frame or vice versa.
Do you have other options for correcting vision in people with Presbyopia?
Yes, you do.Nowadays you have contact lenses and various surgical options.But eyeglasses are still the easiest and quickest with the least risk.
How to take the best care of your eyeglasses?
- Don’t use anything other than the microfiber cloth given with the spectacle.
- If it is greasy you will need to wash it with a mild lens care solution and not dry
- Never put your eyeglasses down face first.
- Store them properly.Take them off with both hands
- Remember glasses don’t last forever.
Top tips to take care of eye health
- Regular eye checkups
- Healthy diet
- Prevention of chronic diseases
- Sun protection
- Prevention of eye injury
- Good light during reading
- Right eyeglasses
- Lower digital screen time
- Reduce stress
Presbyopia is one way of your body telling you that you need to slow down.While you cannot stop time, what you can do is lower the onslaught of free radicals on your body and your lens by following a long-term goal of health, eating right, exercising and cutting out stressors from your life.Make it a habit of including fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants as well as the occasional antioxidant supplements.While age brings wisdom it does have its share of baggage.A wonderful way of slowing down the bad part of age is to reduce oxidative damage.This part is partly in your hand.
Do you take care of your eyes?Do you wear specs?
Tell me in the comments below.
Disclaimer: This is meant for awareness and not as professional consultation.All medical decision should be taken after a consultation with a specialist.Read my disclosure.