Rota virus vaccine helps prevent childhood mortality and morbidity to severe dehydrating diarrhoea caused by Rota virus.
In low socioeconomic countries Rota virus is the main cause of diarrhoea in upto 80% of babies less than 1 year.In India upto 87% of diarrhoea requiring hospitalization is caused by Rota virus ,of which one-third is severe.
Under such a situation giving the Rota virus vaccine appears to be the best way to protect our children from a highly preventable disease which can cause severe dehydration and its associated complications in babies less than one year age.
Rota virus vaccine. :types
2 variety of live attenuated oral vaccine available
- Rotarix (RV1) :2 doses
- Rota Teq (RV 5): 3dose
When to give. Rota virus vaccine ?
Routine vaccination best practices dictate :
- Minimum age 6 weeks for both types.
- Rotarix , 2 doses at 10 weeks and 14 weeks.
- Rota Teq, 3 doses at 6, 10 and 14 weeks?
- In case type of vaccine not known for any dose in the schedule , a total of 3 doses may have to be given.
For Delayed vaccination schedule:
Maximum age of 1st dose of vaccine schedule: 14 weeks, 6 days.
Maximum age of last dose 8months preferably within 6months.
No Rota virus vaccine to be given if:
- History of severe allergic reaction to any previous dose of Rota virus vaccine.
- History of severe allergy to latex- Rotarix cannot be given, Rota Teq may be given.
- Past history of severe bowel obstruction known ad intussusception.
- Baby is sick with high fever, or recent history of diarrhoea ,and/ or vomiting.
POST vaccination ..what to do
- Child can be fed normally .
- In case of fever, diarrhoea, irritability ….contact your doctor.
As it is a live vaccine child may shed the virus and hence proper hand washing during diaper changes is important( like. always ) and try to avoid contact of baby with anyone with a decreased immunity.
In India upto 2,000,000 outpatient visits and upto 1.5 lakh deaths occur due to Rota virus diarrhoea in less than 5 year old children.
Prevention in this case, like always is definitely better than cure.We owe our children a happy healthy life and anything which helps us achieve this goal is what all parents want.
So for all new parents with infants less than 15 weeks age , who are not yet protected from this highly preventable , but deadly disease should not delay.Take care and take charge.
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form][amazon te[amazon asin=