The Vitamin D deficiency: What could be the story?
Many of my busy cousins in their thirties are having a variety of old age problems.
Hypertension, diabetes, deranged lipid profile, nothing seems to be left.But is chronic stress the only culprit? While reading the many research papers, I found a surprising answer.
Lifestyle and your diet really do decide your health. Vitamin D is suspected to have a role. Vitamin D is the miracle vitamin which has a range of goodness. This sunshine vitamin can bring the sunshine into your life.
Not only physical health but your mental health is also influenced by Vitamin D.
Shocked ?I was too.Do you know anybody with hypertension?
Anybody with diabetes?What about somebody who is having a weight issue.
You must be knowing someone who has depression. It’s another chronic problem of our times.
They might need to check their vitamin D level in blood.Do you have Vitamin D deficiency?
Have you ever tested for your blood level of Vitamin D?
Are you overweight?All over theworld, in both developed and developing nations VitaminD deficiency is a highly researched topic.Undernutrition and deficiencies of micronutrient is not surprising.What is surprising is that Vitamin D deficiency is present even in overweight, obese people.This has created the shocking nutritional state known as ‘Malnutrition of Obesity”.
The USA , as well as worldwide Vitamin D, ppears to be a micronutrient which is largely deficient in most.
Who is at risk of Vitamin D deficiency?
50% of world population.Yes the rate is that high.
1 billion people worldwide suspected to be suffering.
There’s a pandemic of vitamin D deficiency worldwide.
- The cause is suspected to be environmental pollution, that’s preventing synthesis of Vitamin D by your skin.
- Dietary deficiency
- Sunscreen(with SPF more than 30) use is another reason which decreases vitamin.
- Obesity decreases vitamin D .Decreased Vitamin D makes it difficult for you to lose weight.Vicious cycle.
Vitamin D is a very special fat soluble hormone. You can synthesize this vitamin in your skin.
Most oil-rich fish such as salmon, mackerel, and herring contain vitamin D.95% of vitamin D can be synthesized by exposure of the skin to sunlight(UVB). Ideally between 10.00 hours and 15.00 hours in the spring, summer, and fall.Sunscreen(with SPF more than 30) use is another reason which decreases vitamin
Population at risk
- Young and middle-aged adults
- Breast fed infants (If mother is deficient baby will be deficient.
- People of Australia, India, Middle East, Africa, and South America.
Darker the skin, more is the melanin, less is the Vitamin D production in the skin
What the right level of Vitamin D?
VITAMIN D Normal :30ng/ml
Vitamin D insufficiency: 25(OH)D of 21–29 ng/mL
How can Vitamin D protect you?
Protects your heart
- Maintains the health of your heart and blood vessels.
Bones and Muscles
- Keeps your bones strong
- Keeps your muscles strong
- Protects against fall related injuries
- Prevents fatigue
- Protects against cancer. Most significantly colorectal cancer.
- Maybe protecting against breast cancer too
Auto immune disease and immunity
- Less risk of type 2 Diabetes.
- Vitamin D protects against autoimmune diseases(multiple sclerosis,Type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and autoimmune thyroid disease.)
- It also has a role in protection against influenza during winter
- Vitamin D helps prevent cognitive problems associated with aging.
- It helps in depression by preventing relapse.
- Helps in decreasing the dose of medicines in depression.
- Helps in weaning off medicines
How much can Vitamin D be given?
After measuring your serum Vitamin D level the right dose can be calculated.
The Mega dose may need to be given to get the deficiency corrected.
Measure your vitamin D level.
Have a diet rich in Vitamin D.
Don’t forget to start vitamin D supplement if you are deficient.
Design your own healthy lifestyle. Be strong live healthy.
What’s your Vitamin D status? Have you ever tested? Let me know in the comments below.
This article is meant to spread awareness about health. It is not a substitute for a professional medical consultation. Read my full disclaimer.