Durga Pujo and saree shopping go hand in hand for women. There are many famous shops in Kolkata, but I am a South Kolkata girl and can honestly tell you about the ones I love and adore.
If you are in Kolkata for the Durga Puja festival and haven’t done your saree shopping yet,I have you covered.I love sarees and how pretty they make women look. Wearing it and carrying it gracefully, needs a lot of practice and technique. But the good thing is anyone can learn.
Growing up for special occasions at schools and colleges insisting on traditional wear, meant raiding moms wardrobe. My mom was working at a Central Government Department and liked her office wear saris comfortable for summers, easy to wear and pretty. But for Pujo and other occasions we shared a love for silk sarees. I still love silk sarees.
From the traditional printed pure silk, Tussar, Kanjeevaram, Bomkai, Katan and all types of silks, I cherish wearing them. Durga Puja in Kolkata is not just a festival. It’s a ray of hope. It’s an experience.
Durga puja does make things better. It’s good for the tourism industry and retail. It’s wonderful for the hospitality industry and for standalone restaurants, the pujo organizers and sponsors, the shop owners, family, friends and everyone in between.
Memories of Pujo past
Childhood memories of shopping meant, going with mom to Newmarket for all day window shopping and judicious buying. New Market back then, was not this crowded and after the shopping, I looked forward to a lunch ofRumali rooti and doi chicken at Sabitri’s.On the way back we used to snack on cakes at Nahoum’s Cake shop and pack for home too!
Secret tips to pick the saree perfect for you
Now you have a lot of shopping malls to get all your pujo gifts, makeup, clothes, and knick-knack. But sarees you need to be careful. While buying a good sari, hold it and see whether it’s soft and comfortable against your skin. The Kolkata weather can be humid, even in autumn and the saree needs to keep you cool.
With a beautiful silk saree which is not too heavy, you are dressed in the festive spirit and stay comfortable too. Since often its difficult to know a real from a fake silk saree, it’s important you buy from a good shop and feel the fabric.
You can ask the attendant to drape it on you. Most saree shops worth their label, have an expert saree draper. Getting the saree draped even casually will help you quickly get the feel, color, and fall of the saree. Its the look test and highly recommended. Go shopping with someone who loves you and you will have a wonderful time shopping.
What about the perfect blouse or petticoat? Can you get one tailored quickly?
This one is tricky. Most exclusive shops have a good range of blouses. Both designer, traditional and eclectic and can be made to fit depending on the rush and availability of their in-house tailor.
You can also wear the saree with a tight tee-shirt, kurti, crop top. While this may not be traditional, it looks stylish and very chic. It’s also comfortable and you can go crazy with the pallu(the part which is generally pinned to the shoulder).
Wear a pair of leggings with a good waist tie, for the perfect mermaid drape or go for a lycra petticoat with a slit. In case you want a traditional petticoat, there are plenty of choices available in shops around Deshapriya Park, Triangular park, Gariahat. Use pins generously,(but be careful ), to get the look right. Avoid making it too tight. With a saree draped just right, you will walk and sit comfortably. Saree is a very graceful and versatile piece of unstitched fabric. Do pick up a few if you visit Kolkata any time.
This year linen sarees are the rage and many shops have a good collection. But for a traditional buy, you can get a pretty tant from Tantuja and you will look like a breath of fresh air. In case you want something easy and gorgeous to wear and this is your first time saree shopping, I have a few suggestions. The first one is my all time favorite!
Famous saree shops in South Kolkata from where you can also buy online
- Indian Silk House Exclusives on Lake Road for some trendy silks as well unique one of a kind traditional weaves. Buy Kanjeevaram with jute details or linen with embroidery, you will have it all here.The best part ,the designs are exclusiv and you will not find anyone else anywhere wearing the same design.That does come with a good price tag ,but they also keep it affordable.
P-92 Lake Road (Near Samaj Sebi and Ballygunj Cultural Pujo).Watsapp: 9830436334
The best part is the service and the hassle-free atmosphere. If you are hungry after all that shopping, visit Oudh, just next to Vivekananda park for some delicious food.
- B.K Fashions near Triangular Park has a nice collection of traditional sarees too. Best thing to do is start strolling from Deshapriya Park towards the Triangular park. Plenty of snacking places .If you go a little more towards Gariahat, you will find my favorite Campari roll shop. Great to munch on, while window shopping.
- Jayalakshmi sarees modern and traditional silk, designer pieces and exclusive silk.(Triangular Park)
- Tantuja emporium in Rashbehari Avenue, Triangular Park(Tant sarees)
- Orissa emporium in Dakshinapan
- Sabyasachi Label on Lake RaodP-545, Lake Road, Near Vivekananda Park, Ballygunge, Kolkata Phone:913340648239 .If you cant buy here just visit to see the gorgeous collection and the decor.
- Manashi’ s boutique (opposite Life Line Dental clinic ) has some stunning Dhakai jamdani.T he price is steep and you better come prepared.
Other places to buy saree in Kolkata
- Adi Mohini Mohan Kanjilalal
- Banarasi Niketan
One shop with all range of sarees including mixed silks which look great and will fit all budgets
P Majumdar near Deshapriya Park
Hope you enjoyed this quick Kolkata saree shopping guide. This Durga Pujo series is a look down memory lane about all the things I enjoyed during pujo and still look forward too.I am also sharing this year’s favorite pandals,,eating out, travel and what you must not miss!
#BloggersDurgapujo is off to a great start where 19 bloggers will share their Durga pujo stories memories and tips for a blessed pujo.