I love milk.
Specially cold milk.
I like the milky chai and the nice cup of coffee with milk.
But to keep healthy I had switch to green tea.I still have my cup of midmorning coffee and the ginger chai on weekends.
Cows milk pros:
1 cup milk has ;
Eight grams of protein12 grams of carbohydrates
300 milligrams of calcium, which is 30 percent of the recommended daily allowance for most adults.
It’s easily available
High quality protein.
Soya milkis in no way better.It’s the evil cousin.
The Cons of cow milk:
The main problem with milk is not just the calories .
That you can beat with the skimmed variety.
But the milk protein itself has a few of its own issues .
It’s a grey zone.
It is digested quickly .Absorption occurs fast and cause rapid increase in plasma amino acids .
This causes faster release of insulin .
This is dangerous .
Hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinaemia are both factors of insulin resistance.
This insulinotropic role of milk products is a cause of concern for health.
What is Insulin?
Insulin is a peptide hormone secreted by the β cells pancreatic islets of Langerhans
What does Insulin do for you ?
It maintains normal blood glucose levels.
It helps in cellular glucose uptake, regulating carbohydrate metabolism .
Helps inlipid and protein metabolism .
Insulin stimulates glucose uptake.Promotes lipogenesis while suppressing lipolysis .
Promotes cell division and growth through its mitogenic effects.
What happens when you have insulin resistance ?
Problems with obesity
- Coronary heart disease
- Certain types of cancer
- non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus
- gallbladder disease
- Osteoarthritis and gout,
- Pulmonary diseases, including sleep apnoea
Other scary facts about milk include issues with prostatic and ovarian cancer.
- High dairy levels in diet is a risk factor for multiple sclerosis
- D-galactose in milk is a pro -inflammatory agent.Molecules causing inflammation are responsible for acne ,ageing and other age related disorders.
- Lactose intolerance is very common.
- Milk protein is a common food allergen
At the end of the day ,diet is supposed to be balanced.
See what works for you .
Day 19 NaBloPoMo .
Linking this up with Honest mum
1)Nilsson M, Stenberg M, Frid AH, Holst JJ, Bjorck IME. Glycemia and insulinemia in healthy subjects after lactose-equivalent meals of milk and other food proteins: the role of plasma amino acids and incretins. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;80:1246–53.[PubMed]
2) Calbet JAL, MacLean DA. Plasma Glucagon and Insulin Responses Depend on the Rate of Appearance of Amino Acids after Ingestion of Different Protein Solutions in Humans. J Nutr. 2002;132:2174–82.[PubMed]
3)Nilsson M, Stenberg M, Frid AH, Holst JJ, Bjorck IME. Glycemia and insulinemia in healthy subjects after lactose-equivalent meals of milk and other food proteins: the role of plasma amino acids and incretins. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;80:1246–53.[PubMed]
4) von Post-Skagegård M, Vessby B, Karlström B. Glucose and insulin responses in healthy women after intake of composite meals containing cod-, milk-, and soy protein. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2006;60:949–54. [PubMed]
World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser. 2000;894:i-xii, 1-253.
7)Childhood obesity :The control is in your hand(part 3)
8)Childhood obesity healthy eating habits