The Vitamin D deficiency :What could be the story
Many of my busy cousins in their thirties are having a variety of old age problems.
Hypertension,diabetes, deranged lipid profile,nothing seems to be left.
But is chronic stress the only culprit?
While reading the many research papers ,I found a surprising answer.
Lifestyle and your diet really does decide your health.
Vitamin D is suspected to have a role .
Vitamin D is the miracle vitamin which has a range of goodness.This sunshine vitamin can bring sunshine into your life.
only physical health but your mental health is also influenced by Vitamin D.
Shocked ?I was too .
Do you know anybody with hypertension?
Anybody with diabetes?
What about somebody who is having a weight issue.
You must be knowing someone who has depression. It’s another chronic problem of our times.
They might need to check their vitamin D level in blood.
Do you have Vitamin D deficiency?
Have you ever tested for your blood level of Vitamin D?
Are you overweight?
All over the world ,in both developed and developing nations VitaminD deficiency is a highly researched topic.
Undernutrition and deficiencies of micronutrient is not surprising.
What is surprising is that Vitamin D deficiency is present even in overweight,obese people.This has created the shocking nutritional state known as ‘Malnutrition of Obesity”.
The USA as well as worldwide Vitamin D appears to be a micronutrient which is largely deficient in most.
Who is at risk of Vitamin D deficiency?
50% of world population.Yes the rate is that high.
1 billion people worldwide suspected to be suffering.
There’s a pandemic of vitamin D deficiency worldwide.
- The cause is suspected to be environmental pollution ,that’s preventing synthesis of Vitamin D by your skin.
- Dietary deficiency
- Sunscreen(with SPF more than 30) use is another reason which decreases vitamin.
- Obesity decreases vitamin D .Decreased Vitamin D makes it difficult for you to lose weight.Vicious cycle.
Vitamin D is a very special fat soluble hormone. You can synthesize this vitamin in your skin.
Most oil-rich fish such as salmon, mackerel, and herring contain vitamin D.
95% of vitamin D can be synthesized by exposure of the skin to sunlight(UVB).Ideally between 1000 h and 1500 h in the spring, summer, and fall.
Sunscreen(with SPF more than 30) use is another reason which decreases vitamin
Population at risk
- Young and middle-aged adults
- Breast fed infants (If mother is deficient baby will be deficient.
- People of Australia,India,Middle East,Africa, and South America.
Darker the skin ,more is the melanin,less is the Vitamin D production in the skin
What the right level of Vitamin D ?
VITAMIN D Normal :30ng/ml
Vitamin D insufficiency :25(OH)D of 21–29 ng/mL
How Vitamin D can protect you?
Protects your heart
- Maintains health of your heart and blood vessels.
Bones and Muscles
- Keeps your bones strong
- Keeps your muscles strong
- Protects against fall related injuries
- Prevents fatigue
- Protects against cancer .Most significantly colorectal cancer.
- Maybe protecting against breast cancer too
Auto immune disease and immunity
- Less risk of type 2 Diabetes.
- Vitamin D protects against autoimmune diseases(multiple sclerosis,Type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and autoimmune thyroid disease.
- It also has a role in protection against influenza during winter
- Vitamin D helps prevent cognitive problems associated with ageing.
- It helps in depression by preventing relapse.
- Helps in decreasing dose of medicines in depression.
- Helps in weaning off medicines
How much Vitamin D can be given?
After measuring your serum Vitamin D level the right dose can be calculated.
Mega dose may need to be given to get the deficiency corrected.
Measure your vitamin D level .
Have a diet rich in Vitamin D.
Don’t forget to start vitamin D supplement if you are deficient.
Design your own healthy lifestyle.Be strong live healthy .
What’s you Vitamin D status?
Have you ever tested?
Let me know in the comments below.
This article is meant to spread awareness about health. It is not a substitute for a professional medical consultation.
This post is part of #Daily chatter at theblogchatter.com