My father is a smoker.I grew up smoking secondary smoke .My mom tried her best to get my father to quit. Secondary smoke dangers were yet not known.But what was known was that it caused cancer! .No amount of pleading with my dad helped.He wouldn’t give up smoking!
The Qs which bothered me:
- Why didn’t my father give up smoking?
- Did he not care enough for his children’s?
- Was he not scared of the Big C?
Why is tobacco addictive?
Tobacco :The naked truth
Leader in preventable deaths. 6 million deaths each year worldwide.600,000 non-smoker deaths.
Oral and oropharyngeal cancer:Most common cancer in Indians .
Lung cancer :commonest cancer worldwide.
Passive smoke :
- Environmental tobacco smoke : indoor air pollution.
- 3,000 lung cancer deaths per year
- 35,000 deaths related to cardiovascular disease
Smoking in pregnancy :Do you really want to do this to your unborn child?
- Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS),
- Learning and behavioral problems
- Increased risk of childhood obesity .
- Low birth weight.
- Higher risk of substance abuse.
You can protect your child
What if you stopped smoking now?
Tips to Quit
- Avoid people who smoke
- Family and social support.
- Eat healthy .
- Work out.Exercise increases endorphins . Counteracts ,the withdrawal triggers of nicotine
- Drink plenty of water.
- Promise yourself some extravagant gift once you are successful.
- Celebrate small wins.
- Nicotine patch,chewing gums
- Professional help
I believe everyone has a choice. A choice to live a healthy life.Or to smoke away their lives…
But people who don’t smoke?Don’t they have rights too?Don’t children have a right ,to clean air?Choose wisely .Life is beautiful death, is inevitable. Live beautifully ,smoke free!
Sometimes the best thing to say is No Tobacco!