When I came to Malda in 2013, the only bank with which I had net banking facility enabled, was State Bank of India. We bought our home, our mutual funds, insurances everything using online banking facility. Strictly trusting the secure network provided by SBI and safe internet habits, I kept my money safe and sanity intact.
Even now when I want money transferred to my bank, or want to transfer money the bank that comes to my mind is my SBI account. There are many reasons.But most importantly I have a 17-year -old relationship with State Bank of India.They provide a secure environment and good service. In today’s world until and unless you have access to safe and secure net-banking facility many of your financial transactions will become cumbersome.Cybersafety is a serious matter.
There are definite best practices which you must follow while banking online:
Number one: Always use a secure internet connection for accessing your bank. For this, your home network on your laptop or home computer is best. Have internet security installed on all your home and office devices.Not just anti-virus, you need a complete solution to keep your computer safe.
Never click unknown links from your phone or from your laptop.
Avoid downloading apps and software on your phone which wants you to override your phone or laptop security. The last two are ways by which hackers get malware downloaded on your phone.Remember its your phone,y our laptop,y our digital home.So keep it safe.
When you use debit cards:
- Remember your PIN.
- Remember to keep changing it regularly. Make it complex and test your brain. It’s better you don’t write it down in random places.
- Avoid giving your card to any service person.Go to the payment counter yourself while shopping , visiting restaurants or shops. This habit keeps you safe.
- Make your PIN complicated; so that people can’t easily make it out.Do not share it with anyone.
- Do not use card for payment purpose while using Free wifi at airport, coffee shops, or any other open public internet connections,
- Never discuss Mother’s maiden name or your pet name with anyone.These are common questions used for resetting passwords and should be guarded.
Be careful about Vishing calls! The bank personnel will never call you to confirm any account related information through phone.
Internet banking precautions:
- Always use secure connections. Don’t fall for free wifi. Use only secure channels.
- Keep strong password and keep changing periodically.
- Make it complex using a capital letter, small letters, numbers, and symbols. You can use the virtual keyboard for additional security.
- Make the password inspirational so that you can remember.
- OTP, CVV, Password should never be shared with anyone .
- Register your mobile number, so that you get the SMS for online transactions on time.
- Set proper and minimal amounts for beneficiaries.
- Review your account statements regularly.
- While on the roads you need to drive safe .while online you need to remember safe usage of IT .
- Be smart, be secure, keep your money safe.
What are your tips to keep your banking safe online? Share in the comments below.