Hair loss myths and facts are a zillion dollar industry. While I attempt to reveal the truths behind it, I plan to improve my hair health too. How to Control Hairfall? If you are not sure about the answer to this, you must read this and save your hard earned money!
How to Control Hairfall?
Alopecia or hair fall has two forms, Scarring, and non-scarring. Non-scarring hair loss the hair shafts are gone. But the hair follicles remain. That’s the good news. This is why; non-scarring alopecia is a type of reversible hair loss. Scarring alopecia occurs due to some disease and has associated fibrosis (scarring), inflammation and loss of the hair follicles. If there is no hair follicle present, this kind of alopecia is more difficult to treat. A smooth scalp is seen with a reduced number of follicle openings. In some cases, only a biopsy helps identify the exact type of hair fall.
Hair fall reasons:
Skin disease, drugs, lifestyle factors, and systemic diseases can all be a direct cause or associated factor for hair loss.
Scarring alopecia: Skin causes: Cutaneous lupus, lichen planus, follicular decalvans, linear scleroderma, even traumatic.
Systemic disease like lupus erythematosus, sarcoidosis, cutaneous metastasis.
Non-scarring alopecia causes:
Primary skin disease: Alopecia areata, Telogen effluvium, Androgenetic alopecia, Tinea capitis, Traumatic alopecia.Systemic diseases: Lupus erythematosus secondary syphilis, thyroid disorders, both hyper and hypothyroidism, hypopituitarism, protein, deficiency of Iron, Biotin, Zinc.
Common drugs causing alopecia: warfarin, heparin, propylthiouracil, carbimazole, Vitamin A lithium, beta blockers, amphetamine, isotretinoin acitretin. Spontaneous regrowth of hair can occur when you stop these drugs. Always consult your doctor before making any changes in your drugs.
Truths which you must know: Female hair loss occurs in androgenetic alopecia where there is an increase in the blood level of androgens most common in ovarian or adrenal gland dysfunction. If there are signs of virilization (male signs), such as deepened voice we have to rule out ovarian or adrenal gland tumor. Female pattern hair loss commonly doesn’t cause baldness. It may cause thinning of hair at top and front. It can occur anytime in life but more incidence postmenopausal period.
Alopecia areata is a type of patchy hair fall which can be confluent, or diffusion pattern Evidence of autoimmune reaction, against an unknown antigen of the hair follicle Like your body zone cells hits your hair hips
Alopecia areata is associated often, with other autoimmune disorders like generalized vitiligo, lichen planus, morphea, lichen sclerosus, pemphigus foliaceus, atopic dermatitis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, hypothyroidism, endemic goiter, Addison’s disease, pernicious anemia, lupus erythematosus, diabetes mellitus.
Hair Fall Treatment
- The complete history of past and present diseases, drugs treatment received can help identify the cause.
- Sometimes the nutritional state of the hair and skin are the first indicator of underlying disease.
- Excessive hair loss should always be managed step by step in a planned manner for best results.
- After identifying the cause, it gets easier to treat hair fall in both men and women — hair loss treatment when due to drugs can be treated by changing medicines where possible. Hair fall solution in case of thyroid disorders is to make the patient’s thyroid status normal. Some drugs used to treat hyperthyroidism may also cause hair fall. So careful balance and monitoring needed. Never use over the counter medication for chronic or acute hair fall without a specialist consultation. Dietary replenishment of good quality protein, iron, biotin, and zinc are essential. The egg is an excellent source of protein, biotin, iron and also contains Zinc.
This one is a zillion dollar puzzle and industry. Traditional medical hair fall solutions are :
- Surgical transplantation New and promising treatments include Low-level Light therapy (Recently FDA approved. Lifestyle methods:
- Regular sleep hygiene.
- Proper nutritious diet
- Reduce stress
- Avoid harsh chemicals on hair
- The right hair products, Dietary replenishment of good quality protein, iron, biotin, and zinc are essential. A balanced diet, good sleep habits, and a healthy lifestyle can help solve many hair-tearing worries.
Best Hair fall remedies which have worked for me
- A balanced, nutritious diet rich in fruits and vegetables, with the right amount of protein.
- I sleep at least eight hours a day.
- I avoid hair coloring, chemical treatments and heat treatments to hair.
- I only use Coconut oil for my hair. I prefer oiling before shampoo, with warm oil once a week. This I keep for about two hours or sometimes overnight. I only use the tinned pure Shalimar Coconut oil, which is food grade. I always check the oil composition for any other I use. Coconut oil is the best hair fall control oil, as it has the right molecular weight and size to penetrate the hair shaft. It’s affordable, available and works well.
- I like using curd on my hair, once a week before shampooing.
- Shampooing once a week and washing with plain water in between if it gets too sticky.Excessive shampooing strips the scalp of its natural oils and makes hair rough and unmanageable.
- I also like using a good Argan oil Hair mask once a week to reduce the frizz.
The less trauma you cause, the more hair you have. I tried the Cysteine treatment, twice. It does improve the appearance and feel of the hair initially and make you ramp ready. But the frizz comes back worse than before. Now after one year, it’s much better. Even after being a doctor, I believed what the Hair salon people said, just to make my hair look more picture perfect. I can imagine their effect on other people.
Heat and chemical damage is irreparable and will give you a permanent place as a customer in Hair salons! Movie stars have the budget and they get paid to look that good. If you have the budget, for expensive hair repair work for life,then the choice is yours.
If you have a medical condition causing hair fall, you will need to get your blood tests done. This will be prescribed after visiting a physician and a skin specialist. Systemic diseases like anemia and hypothyroidism, are big culprits when it comes to hair fall. Obesity, pregnancy, childbirth, drastic weight loss, malignancy, post surgery, post chemotherapy or radiotherapy always have predictable hair fall. You can talk to your doctor to get the best solution for your specific condition.
No one treatment fits all. You must tailor it according to you and your hair!
Updated November 2018
- Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage.
Rele AS1, Mohile RB.(Pubmed)
- Hair Cosmetics: An Overview
Maria Fernanda Reis Gavazzoni Dias(Pubmed)
- Nicholson AG, Harland CC, Bull RH, Mortimer PS, Cook MG. Chemically induced cosmetic alopecia. Br J Dermatol. 1993;128:537–41. [PubMed
- ]Chey WY, Kim KL, Yoo TY, Lee AY. Allergic contact dermatitis from hair dye and development of lichen simplex chronicus. Contact Dermatitis. 2004;51:5–8. [PubMed]
- Zhang Y, Alsop RJ, Soomro A, Yang FC, Rheinstädter MC. Effect of shampoo, conditioner and permanent waving on the molecular structure of human hair. PeerJ. 2015;3:e1296. [PubMed]
- Natural (Mineral, Vegetable, Coconut, Essential) Oils and Contact Dermatitis.
Verallo-Rowell VM1,2, Katalbas SS3,4, Pangasinan JP3,4.[Pubmed]