Allergic Rhinitis will not go away but you can live better with it. If you change your location it may get better or worse. If you don’t take precautions the Allergic sinusitis, allergic pharyngitis, nasal polyposis are all possible. Prevention is very important and maintenance therapy will help you in the long run.
It’s a hyperimmune response and you need two things to happen simultaneously.
1)Decrease allergen load
2)Help downregulate the hyperimmune response
Types of Allergic Rhinitis
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis (hay fever): This is often caused by pollens
- Perennial Allergic rhinitis: Common indoor allergens like dried skin flakes, urine, saliva of pets.Pet dander, mold, droppings from dust mites, cockroach. All these causes perennial allergic Rhinitis and symptoms occur the year around.
Other allergic triggers are smoke, odors, perfumes, room fresheners, change in air temperature and humidity. The increased sensitivity of the nasal lining mucosa due to the allergic reaction makes you more sensitive to other inhalant.
# Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis
- Itching of nose, mouth, throat, ear
- Runny nose
- Tearing eyes
- Stuffy nose
- Frequent sneezing
- Blocked ears
- Creases on the top of the nose
- Dark circle around eyes
- Nasal bleeding
- Feeling feverish, headache, low energy intermittently
Associated with allergic conjunctivitis and Bronchial asthma.
Test for Allergy
- Skin tests
- Complete blood count, absolute eosinophil count
- Ig E levels
- A battery of Allergy tests
- Computed tomography of Paranasal sinuses to rule our Sinusitis, nasal polyposis
Allergic rhinitis Treatment
- Medicines have a role
- Maintain lifestyle changes to prevent aggravation
- Topical antihistamines
- Topical steroids: Steroid sprays including Fluticasone and Mometasone
- Systemic drugs to downregulate the hyperimmune system
Maximal medical therapy is given to get symptoms under control and then tapered. In case of no response to medical therapy surgical therapy is done to clear the drainage passages. But even after surgery allergy precautions are needed to prevent relapse.
All medicines are used together with steam inhalation regularly and strict avoidance of allergy precipitating events and substances. Allergy is a condition which stays with you. How it will affect you will depend on you. If you take these precautions you can live well, even with Allergic Rhinitis.
Things to keep in mind with Allergic Rhinitis?
- Stop Smoking.
- Precautions while Dusting.
- Avoid sudden stoppage of nasal sprays without Doctor’s opinion.
- Self-treatment: It can precipitate Allergic sinusitis with irregular treatment.
- Avoid forceful nose blowing: Can cause nasal polyps and nasal bleeding.
- Avoid nose picking: It can cause bleeding.
- Don’t stop steam inhalation
You might like to read:
Disclaimer: This is information for awareness. As healthcare information is constantly updated, the blog post is not meant to be a replacement for a doctor consultation, nor is it a medical recommendation or treatments. Any reader of this blog, with problems, should specifically consult his/her doctor for medical conditions and follow the suggested course of treatment’.