Oranges are a favorite when it comes to breakfast options.But are you confused about what’s better ,orange or orange juice?
Whole fruits are rich in fiber, antioxidants, and phytochemicals that have significant health benefits. Increasing fruit in diet is recommended for primary prevention of lifestyle diseases like obesity, diabetes type 2,and hypertension
But guzzling juice will rarely have the same benefits. Many of these vitamins ,break during processing and you have little scope of knowing the real benefit.
When doctors recommend fruit in diet, it’s the whole fruit that should be added.
Nutrition facts about orange(The stars)
- Vitamin C 93% of RDA
- Vitamin B 19%
- Folate 1 0%
- Vitamin A 8%
- pantothenic acid7%
Can’t get oranges and want to drink juice?
Check these facts.
- When is it due for expiry?
- The carton should have at least 3 to 4 weeks before expiry .Vitamin C the right type( or reduced ) decomposes at a rate of 2% per day in opened juice packs.
- Have higher amount of oxidized vitamin C, which is not useful.
- Have less fibre or broken down fibre which makes the sugars of the fruit quickly absorbed . Removing the slow sugar releasing capacity of whole fruit makes it bad for your body .
- Often has added sugar and may also contain preservatives.
Whats the best type of orange juice?
Freshly squeezed with the pulp.
Or if it’s store-bought , the ones with the pulp in it , no added sugar & opened fresh with at least 3 to 4 week from expiry.It’s one way of getting your vitamins other than medicines when fruits are not available.
The special phytochemicals in Oranges:
Hesperetin and naringenin: Powerful molecules and protect against oxidative damage.
Orange also contains Beta-carotene
That’s the Vitamin A precursor.The good thing about beta-carotene: Unlike Vitamin A which in large amounts gets stored in your body fat is toxic.But a large amount of beta carotene at worst, will make you look orange, but no lasting harm.
Our body breaks this beta-carotene to form Vitamin A.The fruit is low in calories, has no saturated fats or cholesterol, but rich in dietary fiber.It’s tasty and provides a sweet and tangy taste.
This week health tip, to remember
How much Vitamin C do you need daily?
The normal daily need of vitamin C for a healthy person is 50–100 mg per day(6)
In order from highest to lowest (approximately ):Aamla, guava , red and green chillies.red bell pepper(7, 8 ),yellow bell pepper,green bell pepper ,kiwi,oranges,strawberry,raspberry,leafy greens like Kale.
Did you see my second contest question?
(First Contest Question is here )
2 simple rules
- Enter to win a surprise gift.This competition is open to my subscribers only so don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter using the form in the sidebar.
- Invite 1 friend by clicking the click to tweet box and tagging a friend.
Write to me at email@example.com and tell me the answer to this question.
Which fruit was has MCPG and can cause low blood sugar?