Healthier mothers and babies is what everyone wants
When me and my sister where babies ,we grew up in daycare .Both of our parents worked and there was nobody to take care at home.
Back then government didn’t give mother’s childcare leave.
Looking back ,my memories say growing up days were fun. No really horrible memories.Back then we missed our mom, but there was nothing she could do.We needed the money.
Fast forward to today.I am luckier.I didn’t have a full time job when my baby was born.And now my work has flexible timing and a better government policy of childcare, supporting it.
But even then I worry .When I have to take leave suddenly due to baby issues.It always sounds like an excuse.But all moms know, the most difficult thing in this world is to walk away from teary eyed little ones.
But the question is no longer just the babies immediate health.Your decision will change a little person’s life.
What research says?
- Healthy mothers have healthy babies.What you think too can affect your baby
- Mothers nutrition and child’s nutrition both are important.Nutrition has a large role .Both undernutrition and over nutrition will cause malnutrition.There’s malnutrition of obesity to watch out for.
- Stress levels during pregnancy can alter the stress response in the unborn child.
- Childhood stresses can cause lifetime harm ,both psychologically and physically.
Why You ask?
Someone is finally talking about it.Maybe things will change
Government of Italy has declared 22nd September “Fertility Day“.They want to encourage women to have children.They have a declining childbirth rate ,and an economic slump.But the Government gives inadequate support to working mothers and most private companies don’t have flexibility for working moms.
The research findings can help .A lot.
- To help moms stand up for “work from home” policy.
- To take jobs with flexible work hours.
- To not have to explain why they want to be with their babies and compromise the career ladder.
- For child right biggies to keep in mind ,for future recommendations and actions.
- For corporations to take Corporate social responsibility to another level
Teach children to cope positively with it.
What can this stress triggers do?
- Metabolic dysfunction(3)
- Muscle wasting disease
How does this happen?
What are the early life stressors that can cause this?
Stressors may be:
They may present as:
- Maternal separation
- Childhood neglect
- Adverse parenting
- Childhood physical or sexual abuse
- Medical trauma
With improved environment children can adapt themselves to these stressors .Growing up,they will be externally normal.But since these cellular changes have happened ,if exposed to chronic stress in later life ,metabolic and psychological problems can be precipitated .
Why does this happen?
What can you do to protect yourself & your child?
1)Chrousos GP. Stress and disorders of the stress system. Nat Rev Endocrinol (2009) 5:374–8110.1038/nrendo.2009.106 [PUBMED]
2) Stress and obesity/metabolic syndrome in childhood and adolescence.
3)Early-Life Stress, HPA Axis Adaptation, and Mechanisms Contributing to Later Health Outcomes.Jayanthi Maniam, Christopher Antoniadis, and Margaret J. Morris[PubMed]
4)Nemet D, Dolfin T, Litmanowitz I, Shainkin-Kestenbaum R, Lis M, Eliakim A.Evidence for exercise-induced bone formation in premature infants. Int J Sports Med (2002) 23:82–510.1055/s-2002-20134[PubMed]
5)Franks PW, Ekelund U, Brage S, Wong MY, Wareham NJ. Does the association of habitual physical activity with the metabolic syndrome differ by level of cardiorespiratory fitness? Diabetes Care(2004) 27:1187–9310.2337/diacare.27.5.1187 [PubMed]
6)Mason SM, Flint AJ, Field AE, Austin SB, Rich-Edwards JW. Abuse victimization in childhood or adolescence and risk of food addiction in adult women. Obesity (Silver Spring) (2013) 21:E775–8110.1002/oby.20500 [PubMed]
7)Mela V, Llorente-Berzal A, Diaz F, Argente J, Viveros MP, Chowen JA.Maternal deprivation exacerbates the response to a high fat diet in a sexually dimorphic manner. PLoS One (2012)7(11):e48915.10.1371/journal.pone.0048915 [PubMed]
8)Masuzaki H, Flier JS. Tissue-specific glucocorticoid reactivating enzyme, 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (11 beta-HSD1) – a promising drug target for the treatment of metabolic syndrome.Curr Drug Targets Immune Endocr Metabol Disord (2003) 3:255–6210.2174/1568008033340135 [PubMed]
Originally posted 2016-09-15 11:51:56.