Hair loss myths and facts are a zillion dollar industry. While I attempt to reveal the truths behind it, I plan to improve my hair health too.
Why of Hair fall: Uncovered
Alopecia or hair fall has two major forms, Scarring, and non-scarring. Non-scarring hair loss the hair shafts are gone. But the hair follicles remain. That’s the good news. This is why; non-scarring alopecia is a type of reversible hair loss. Scarring alopecia occurs due to some disease and has associated fibrosis (scarring), inflammation and loss of the hair follicles. If there is no hair follicle present, this kind of alopecia is more difficult to treat. A smooth scalp with the reduced number of follicle openings can be seen clinically. But sometimes only biopsy will help conclude the exact type of hair fall.
Skin disease, drugs, lifestyle factors and systemic diseases can all be a direct cause or associated factor for hair loss.
Scarring alopecia:Skin causes : Cutaneous lupus, lichen planus, follicular decalvans, linear scleroderma, even traumatic.
Systemic disease like lupus erythematosus, sarcoidosis, cutaneous metastasis.
Non-scarring alopecia causes:
Primary skin disease: Alopecia areata, T elogen effuvium ,Androgenetic alopecia,Tinea capitis,Traumatic alopecia. Systemic diseases : Lupus erythematosus secondary syphilis, thyroid disorders, both hyper and hypothyroidism, hypopituitarism, protein, deficiency of Iron , Biotin, Zinc.
Common drugs causing alopecia : warfarin, heparin, propylthiouracil, carbimazole, Vitamin A lithium, beta blockers, amphetamine , isotretinoin acitretin .Spontaneous regrowth of hair can occur when you stop these drugs. Always consult your doctor before making any changes in your drugs.
Truths which you must know: Female hair loss occurs in androgenetic alopecia where there is an increase in the blood level of androgens most common in ovarian or adrenal gland dysfunction. If there are signs of virilization (male signs), such as deepened voice we have to rule out ovarian or adrenal gland tumor. Female pattern hair loss commonly doesn’t cause baldness. It may cause thinning of hair at top and front. It can occur anytime in life but more incidence postmenopausal period.
Alopecia areata is a type of patchy hair fall which can be confluent or diffusion pattern Evidence of some kind of autoimmune reaction against an unknown antigen of the hair follicle Like your body zone cells hits your hair hips
Alopecia areata is often seen with other autoimmune disorders like generalized vitiligo, lichen planus, morphea, lichen sclerosus, pemphigus foliaceus, atopic dermatitis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, hypothyroidism, endemic goiter, Addison’s disease, pernicious anemia, lupus erythematosus, diabetes mellitus.
Diagnosis and treatment
- a complete history of past and present diseases, drugs treatment received can help identify the cause.
- sometimes the nutritional state of the hair and skin are the first indicator of underlying disease.
- Excessive hair loss should always be managed step by step in a planned manner for best results.
- After identifying the cause it gets easier to treat hair fall in both men and women.Hair loss treatment when due to drugs can be treated by changing medicines where possible. Hair fall solution in case of thyroid disorders is to make the patient’s thyroid status normal. Some drugs used to treat hyperthyroidism may also cause hair fall. So careful balance and monitoring needed.Never use over the counter medication for chronic or acute hair fall without a specialist consultation. Dietary replenishment of good quality protein, iron, biotin and zinc are essential. The egg is an excellent source of protein, biotin, iron and also contains Zinc. Hair fall solutions
This one is a zillion dollar puzzle and industry.Traditional methods are :
- Surgical transplantation New and promising treatments include Low-level Light therapy (Recently FDA approved. Lifestyle methods:
- Regular sleep hygiene.
- Proper nutritious diet
- Reduce stress
- Avoid harsh chemicals on hair
- the right hair products Dietary replenishment of good quality protein, iron, biotin, and zinc are essential. A balanced diet, good sleep habits, and a healthy lifestyle can help solve many hair-tearing worries.