What is GERD?
Gastroesophageal Reflux disease or GERD is the medical term for the common problem of Reflux.
You can call it heartburn, acidity, Reflux.
So GERD would be: occasional Acidity? sometimes sour taste in mouth? A burning sensation in the stomach , chest , throat Reflux or regurgitation of food with sour taste and burning Sensation?
GERD is all these and some more. Acid reflux may be affecting upto 40% of Americans and 10% Indians.Money spent for over the counter and prescription drugs is as high as 10 billion dollars per year,in America alone. What would you do with 10 billion dollar?
Why does it occur?
Transient Lower esophageal sphincter relaxation is a normal phenomenon. Secretion of acid in the stomach to digest food Is normal .Some amount of back flow of this acid from the stomach into the food pipe happens in all of us.
When there occurs frequent regurgitation of acidic stomach content into the food pipe or esophagus , due to prolonged or frequent LES relaxation , that’s when It’s GERD.
Severity of GERD determined by:
1)Dysfunctional antireflux barrier:A normal antireflux barrier helps to prevent reflux of gastric contents.When this mechanism is not working properly reflux occurs.
2)Impaired esophageal clearance:
3) Anatomical variation of Esophago- gastric junction including hiatus hernia
How do to know if I am at risk of GERD?
You may be at risk of Reflux disorders if :
- older age
- Nonvegetarian diet
- diet high in fried food/fatty food
- Aerated drinks
- Too little sleep
- No exercise
- Chronic stressors in life
What are the symptoms of Reflux
Acid sometimes sour taste in mouth?
A burning sensation in the stomach , chest , throat. Reflux or regurgitation of food with sour taste?
We have all had reflux at some time or other.Below I have listed some of the most common symptoms.
- Difficulty swallowing
- Feeling of something stuck at the back of throat
- Aggravation of asthma
- Chest pain
What is non acid Reflux?
30 percent of people with GERD will not be benefitted by routine treatment . This group have a condition known as non acid Reflux.
What is Silent reflux/LPRD
Laryngitis is a symptom of silent reflux and you may typically have no complaint of reflux but may be persistently hoarse.Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease or LPRD as it is popularly known ,has a chronic course and sequelae. It occurs due to regurgitation of acid
Do Children have GERD?
Medical treatment in children is a detailed article on this topic .But you definitely don’t like making your child have medicines.The best option then is in your hands.
Lifestyle habits are very important for children to live life reflux free.
Quick tips for making your
child reflux free
1)Don’t have those food which cause acidity , in front of children( preferably don’t have them).
2) For older children try to make them understand that the discomfort due to acidity is due to those particular food, that often helps cut down tantrums.
3) If they still insist , control the amount which they can have, lesser the better.
4) Make them avoid these food at bedtime as lying down will make acid reflux worse. Bedtime should be atleast 3 hours after meals.
5) Eat healthier as a family and not just for the child.
6)Make a habit of drinking plenty of water
7) Avoid spicy food as they generally make acidity worse
8) Make the bedtime at least 2/3 hours after a main meal. Dinner time should be early to avoid lying down with a full stomach.
9) If the baby drinks milk at bedtime , try to gradually replace the calories from milk with semisolid or solid food earlier in the evening.A satisfied child who has a full stomach , is more likely to listen to reason than a hungry crabby child.
Are you suffering from Acidity ,heartburn ? Are you tired of the daily struggle with popping pills and increasing Reflux?
Need help with Reflux…Some more help
Do you need more help in battling your reflux? A little guidance in the right direction ? Write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Contact me and tell me what you need help with.
If there is a solution you will find it.Take care stay reflux free.
Have you seen my Disclaimer?