Earache is a very common complaint that children have.A painful ear can make young children cranky with continuous crying,refusing feed and sleeping fitfully.Parents often are at a loss trying to soothe the child.
All parents must have faced at least one such episode of earache,when the child’s pain has brought tears to your eyes.
1. Why do the earache?
The Many Causes
- Foreign body
- Otitis externa
- Herpes zoster
- Keratosis obturans
- Acute otitis media
- Acute mastoiditis
- Secretory otitis media
- Traumatic perforation
- Otitis barotrauma
- Chronic suppurative otitis media with intracranial complications.
Water entry in the ear causes wax to get swollen .This cause pressure over the tympanic membrane resulting in blocked ear and occasionally pain.
The wet wax may also get infected and cause pain.
Children themselves and parents often try to clean their ears with various objects.This may cause the ear canal to have abrasions which get infected.
Furuncle of the ear canal(most commonly occurs following ear cleaning)
Pain due to causes in the ear canal is a very painful condition called otitis externa.If child is crying due to otitis externa she/he will not allow you to even touch their ear .
Acute otitis media
Nasal obstruction an the sudden blockage causes the tympanic membrane (ear drum) to become indrawn.
This cause excessive secretion in the middle ear which may get infected and become pus.
Like pus anywhere it causes pain,pressure over tympanic membrane.Ear discharge with sudden relief of pain may occur following rupture of the infected ear drum.
Pain due to this condition may not persist through out the day .It increases often at night.Child will allow examination.Never start ear drops etc without doctors permission as it can cause earache to increase in this condition.
- Referred pain
From caries tooth,newly erupting tooth,mumps parotitis
- Secretory Otitis media
Children having allergic Rhinitis may have persistent low grade blockage of the eustachian canal.This causes
retracted ear drum,secretion inside the middle ear cavity(the part of the ear behind the drum),blocked ear ,with occasional pain.
- Otomycosis(fungal infection of the ear)
Initially may not be painful,but later if left untreated causes pain.
3.What can you do to relieve the pain?
- Hot fomentation (warm compress )over ear.
- Over the counter pain medications like paracetamol and ibuprofen often available at home and can be given.
- Antibiotics will have to prescribed in most cases.
- Topical antibiotic eardrop,ointment for furuncle ,otitis externa will relieve pain..but not without, consultation with an ENT Surgeon
Earache is a very painful condition both for children and adults.Though 100%prevention may be difficult you can definitely take some action to prevent most causes.
- Make your child drink water regularly.Hydration status has a role to play in making wax soft and liquid.The more liquid the wax is less chance it will accumulate and get infected.
- Consult your doctor in case cold and nasal discharge does not improve within 3 days.Generally earache starts after the 5th day of continuous cold and nasal congestion.
- Never clean the ear forcibly.Its better to apply a wax solvent ear drop(4 to 6 drops twice a day for 7 days) every 2 to 3 weeks to avoid built up.
- If the child complains of earache no,eardrop,hot oil etc should be applied before consulting an ENT Surgeon.
- If the child suffers from allergic Rhinitis it should be adequately treated to avoid ear problems.
Ear is one if the 5 important sense organs and it definitely let’s us know its importance when it aches.Prevention as always is better.
Please take some time to comment.If you have any further queries,suggestions, I would love to have your valuable feedback.